Sunday, August 15, 2010

Taita




I just got back from a trip upcountry to Taita. Taita is beautiful, large rocky hills dominate the landscape. It is an impoverished area and it has one of the highest instances of HIV in Kenya. Nearly every home has a grave in the yard and there are an overwhelming number of orphans. We stayed with Pastor Laurence, he is a remarkable man. The pastor and his wife, Mary, look after eighteen children. They have seven children of their own and they also care for their nieces and nephews. Both of Pastor Laurence's brothers died, he did not say of what, but I assume AIDS.
On our second night we had an impromptu party with the children, it was my favorite experience in Kenya so far. As we were heading to bed I mentioned to Jemima how much I had enjoyed her singing at the class presentations that day, this comment was changed in translation, they thought I was asking her to sing. Soon we were all standing around a gas lamp in a dirt courtyard singing to God. One of the younger boys drummed on a plastic water container and the rest of us sang acapella. One of the songs that they sang was "Melody in My Heart". One part of the song says "I am overwhelmed by the joy of the Lord." They did not simply sing about joy, they manifested it in their lives, they beamed. Here was a group of children, most of them orphans, with almost no material possessions and limited opportunities to improve their lives, but they were joyful, truly joyful.
Soon the singing progressed to singing and dancing, they tried to teach us various African dance moves. Dancing is not my strong suit, one of the boys pointed to the other two interns and exclaimed "they can move", he did not see fit to include me in his remark. It was fun all the same.
It is truly a blessing to be able to stay in people's homes. There are certainly downsides, no running water, you have to eat the food that they serve you (you end up eating entirely more than you want and occasionally it can gross you out) but it was a blessing to be included in their lives.
This week is busy, we are preparing for the WEEP graduation and are going to a luncheon. I will keep you posted.
Best,
Margaret

2 comments:

  1. Marg:
    My dancing is generally described with the oft used phrase "full body dry-heave set to music", so don't feel too bad ... bad dancing must run in the blood. Amazing to hear about so much joy in those who have so little. Maybe the limited expectations/opportunities remove pressure to aquire, develop and progress that all that is left is to celebrate what elements of life that you Can enjoy. It is not a formula for life that I would want to embrace, but certainly one that I can learn from; and be reminded. It was my favorite post yet. Nice work. Love as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an AMAZING experience! maybe you can teach me some moves when you get back :)

    thank you for sharing your story and theirs!

    ReplyDelete