Thursday, August 26, 2010

Coming Home

Hi All,
I'm getting ready to come home. I began packing this morning although I don't leave until Monday. Tomorrow is a busy day, we are having a kids fun day for the children of the WEEP ladies. We are taking 150 people to the Giraffe Center. It will be a zoo! And after church on Sunday we are going to a mall, we will have a display to raise awareness for HEART's Freedom for Girls program.
Packing is going well, I have considerably more room in my suitcase. I'm leaving a lot of my skirts here in Kenya and I ate most of my protein bars (I don't want to eat another Cliff bar for a really, really long time).
I will miss many of the HEART staff members and I've also become close with my fellow interns. We have lived and worked together for the last two months, it will be strange to not see them everyday.
I will also miss Kenya. Random things like the smell of burning trash, or oddly named businesses. (Butcheries have the strangest names, some of my favorites include: "Fresh and Fleshly Butchery", "Welcome Hotel, Butchery, and Cafe", and "Answered Prayer Butchery"). I will also miss the rhythm of being on the Equator. The sun rises and sets at roughly the same time everyday, there is a calm in that. I imagine I will also have difficulty in adjusting to American time. Kenyan time runs about an hour behind schedule. For example we told the WEEP women to get to the Giraffe Center at 8:30 so we can count on most of them being there by 10:30.
I might make a post about the kids fun day at the giraffe center or tabling at Westgate Mall depending on whether I have time. Otherwise I wish you all the best.
Love,
Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment