Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Photos and Random Thoughts

Here are some random photos from my trip. All of these photos are actually all from my trip to Taita. The first picture is me with "the jean man" (his actual name is Issiah) . He wore jean from head to toe! I really enjoyed hanging out with him, he was so calm and sweet. At one point he walked up to me and gestured for me to pick him up. This is fairly rare; most of the time young children are afraid of muzungus (white people). This is especially true of children from rural areas, they rarely, if ever, interact with white people. Children will dash up to you and touch you but they usually don't want prolonged physical contact. The last picture shows children from an orphanage dancing to the bananas song. At the time I didn't think they liked the Bananas song too much, but looking at the photos I can tell they really enjoyed it. Apparently I was too into the song to really pay attention to their expressions! When you really 'go bananas' it is difficult to notice what is going on around you. The middle picture is mist surrounding the hills of Taita, it reminded me of the mist that comes out of the canyon at home.
Best,
Margaret


1 comment:

  1. Margaret:
    Being a pleasent surprise (NOT an accident), and the distant fourth of four kids, there weren't many people to hang out with when a family function rolled around. Everyone seemed older. Except for Grandpa Jack (Your great grandfather on your dad's side ... Jinny's dad). Bookending me, he seemed too old to have many folks to hang out with. So we hung out together. Anyway, once when we were the first ones up, early in the morning in Flint, walking down to the park as the mist still lay in the hollows, like in your hills of Taita. He told me that Grandma Coy (Who had passed by then) always called those patches of mist 'haunts'. "And sometimes," She used to say, "When you run through them, they steal your breath away."

    ReplyDelete