Monday, July 19, 2010

Random Photos





Here are some random photos from my trip. It is not uncommon to see graffiti like the "Free with God's Love" scrawled on a building or door. The picture of the little boy holding his hand up was actually taken by another orphan, I showed the children how to take pictures and let them use my camera. I ended up with many pictures of the ground but I also got this beauty! The children love to take pictures, they call them "snaps". The picture of the buildings was taken from the car, but it gives an idea of the urban landscape of the slums.
I am headed to Massai land tomorrow. We are going to Oldonyonyokie, affectionately called Old Donkey. The Massai are a tribal group, they are among the last tribal groups in Kenya to preserve their traditional customs. I will post an account of my adventures.
Best,
Margaret

9 comments:

  1. what great photos! thank you for taking pictures and posting them for us to see - love sharing your adventure with you. thinking of you and sending so much love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog posts. Can't wait to hear about your visit to masaii land.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom,

    testing comment procedure. Let me know if you see this comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Testing the Comments procedure as well ... just like Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Favorite Uncle Tom StockbridgeJuly 19, 2010 at 4:51 PM

    Marg: You need to tell these folks that if anyone takes their picture, the camera steals their soul. It's true. I think that's how I lost my soul. Also, your picture of the "... God's Love" note written in the dirt reminded me of a funny statement I saw written in the dirty window of a car I passed yesterday. It read: "Don't you wish your wife was this dirty?" I understand that such a thing is horribly inappropriate to write as a comment on such a blog site, but funny nonetheless, right? And I noticed that you were in Mombassa. Did you go to Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner's baroom?: "Roland searched the continent for the man who'd done him in. He found him in Mombassa in a barroom drinking gin." I will stay tuned throughout, so you have that to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Favorite Uncle Tom StockbridgeJuly 19, 2010 at 4:54 PM

    Marg: This not is for your cousin Matt, not for you. Please ignore this note. Thanks.

    Matt: Thanks for the help with the "How to leave a comment on this blog-site fiasco". Turns out that it is impossible to leave a comment from Mozilla, so I switch to Explorer and it worked fine. See my comment above.

    Marg: I am done with my message to Matt. You can look again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tom! Thank you for the humorous comments, it is a nice change of pace for me. . .
    I love Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner! I bought it when I got home after visiting you I loved it so much; I also especially like the bit about Mombasa. I listened to that song several times both in Mombasa and on the plane on the way to Mombasa.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for following the blog. I miss all of you; I look forward to seeing you when I get home.
    Best,
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  9. Margaret,

    Great photos, great descriptions. Great insights.

    Please, keep them coming. And thank you.

    - Craig Wheaton

    ReplyDelete