Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Departure

I leave for Kenya tomorrow! I'll post updates and pictures from my trip on this blog and on Facebook. I'm looking forward to experiencing Kenyan culture and working with HEART. HEART works with single mothers who have AIDS, it helps the women get on a drug regimen and provides economic opportunities for the women as well. One of HEART's goals is orphan prevention.
I will be in Kenya for two months, staying at the HEART compound in Nairobi for the majority of my trip. Nairobi is a fairly modern city (apparently there is even Chinese takeout). It is a 'mile high city'; its sister city is Denver.
I will also get opportunities to travel around Kenya, and I will also go on safari (I'll definitely post pictures).
I'm finally ready to go. Packing was certainly a process. Kenyan society is fairly conservative, I will be wearing skirts and dresses paired with loose t-shirts when I leave the HEART compound. I also treated all my clothing in mosquito repellent (powerful stuff, the plastic gloves that I wore while treating the clothing shriveled).
I'm excited and a little nervous. I can't wait to experience such a radically different culture. I'll keep you posted on my adventures. . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment